Thursday, March 11, 2010

oh my Whale!

My parents went on a trip to Maui a few weeks ago, and it happened to be Humpback Whale season. The whales travel north during the summertime and eat TONS of food, and then they come back down south during the wintertime to play and have babies. On this special day, my parents and their friends, Donna and Denny, took kayaks out to watch the whales at a safe distance. The whales seemed to have another idea though, and decided to put on a show just for them! And my dad was clever enough to bring his camera along. :)


this one was just stickin' its nose out to see what's up.

this is a baby whale, i think. it was rubbing its barnacles on the bottom of Donna and Denny's kayak!

crraAZY!!! my dad should be a photographer for the National Geographic.


a WHOLE WHALE on top of the water! unbelievable.

I am in complete awe of these images...and to think of the thrill it would be to be there up close and in person! My mom described it as the scariest and most exciting moment of her life--truly life changing. I am SO happy that my parents got to experience something like this. What a gift!


2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! And how mom described dad while taking pics in the kayak "Gail turn me to the left, paddle harder, stop, now go go go" lol. What a team :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an experience! Thank you for sharing it, and thanks to your dad for photographing and sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers